As any mother will tell you, bringing a new life into the world is a beautiful experience – but what it does to your body is not always so beautiful. Many women are utterly dismayed by their loose, hanging skin and stretched out muscles in the abdomen after pregnancy and childbearing.
Motherhood is not the only culprit. Massive weight loss and aging can also cause loose, flabby muscles and skin in the midsection. Fortunately, a tummy tuck in Orange County at Athenix Body Sculpting Institute can correct the problem for women and men of all ages.
Get Your Body Back with an Athenix Tummy Tuck
Abdominoplasty, commonly known as a tummy tuck, is a surgical procedure to correct weakened abdominal muscles and remove excess fat and loose skin around the midsection. Our Irvine tummy tuck surgeons use the most advanced techniques available. We focus our practice on body sculpting and contouring, and our physicians can custom tailor a tummy tuck procedure based on the state of your abdomen and your unique anatomy. Your custom designed surgical procedure may include:
- Removing loose, excess, hanging skin
- Removing fat from your belly
- Tightening the wall of the abdominal muscles
Stretch marks can also be caused by pregnancy and significant weight loss. The tummy tuck is not specifically designed to correct this problem, but in many cases, stretch marks are located on the loose skin removed during the procedure.
Patient Safety is our Priority.
Safety is our priority at Athenix. Our tummy tuck surgeons are leaders and innovators in the fields of cosmetic and plastic surgery, but above all else, we are medical professionals. Our primary goal is to safely deliver exceptional results, the best possible patient experience for you and the best tummy tuck Orange County can offer you. We know that you expect and deserve great results from your cosmetic procedure, and we are always mindful of your goals and concerns.
Why a Tummy Tuck Might Be the Right Choice for You
With persistence and dedication, a well-planned fitness program can accomplish miracles. It can give you better muscle tone and a slimmer, healthier body. Unfortunately, loose skin does not shrink back on its own. After you lose weight or deliver a baby, skin that has been severely stretched over your former bulk will not tighten up with the rest of your body. It can remain loose and sagging, negatively affecting the appearance of your abdomen after childbirth or weight loss.
Stubborn fat deposits on the belly can resist all your fitness efforts, leaving you with a flabby, loose tummy are when the rest of your body is slimmed down and more toned. Pregnancy and childbirth can also wreak havoc on your abdominal muscles, and exercise alone may not be sufficient to correct the problem.
A tummy tuck could be the right surgical solution to:
- Remove loose, hanging excess skin
- Tighten sagging skin on the abdomen
- Remove stubborn fat deposits on the belly
- Reinforce separated abdominal muscles
- Get rid of a protruding belly
In some cases, there are medical reasons for a tummy tuck. Our Orange County tummy tuck surgeons can use this procedure to:
- Reduce Stress Urinary Incontinence (SUI), a bladder control problem, common after vaginal deliveries.
- Surgically tighten weak abdominal muscles to improve muscle tone and posture.
- Correct ventral hernia, a condition caused by C-section surgery, massive weight loss, and other factors, in which the intestine or abdominal tissue breaks through the abdominal wall and forms a pocket.
At Athenix, we focus our practice on sculpting beautiful bodies. We perform custom tailored tummy tuck procedures to give our patients a smoother, flatter, firmer tummy and to get rid of excess loose skin.
About The Procedure
Virtually any type of tummy tuck removes loose skin, tightens abdominal muscles and eliminates stubborn fat deposits. The type you and your surgeon decide on will depend on the specific area of the body or issue you want to handle.
Five Types of Tummy Tucks
- Traditional: This procedure requires a hip-to-hip incision and addresses the entire abdominal area.
- Mini: This procedure addresses only the area below the navel.
- Endoscopic: This tightens weakened abdominal muscles only and does not remove fat or tighten loose skin.
- Circumferential: This tummy tuck procedure is typically used for patients who have had gastric bypass surgery and can include the thighs, buttocks and hips.
- Extended: This more thorough surgery addresses both the abdominal area and “love handles.”
Tummy Tuck Procedure
A mini tummy tuck takes about 1½ hours. More extensive procedures take from two to five hours to complete. The following are the general steps of virtually all procedures:
- Administering Anesthesia. Although local anesthesia may be used, surgeons prefer sedating a patient with general anesthesia to ensure the abdominal muscles are completely relaxed throughout the surgery, and the patient is comfortable for the entire procedure.
- Creating the Incision. The size and location of the incision depends upon the type of tummy tuck. • Tightening the Abdominal Muscles. After the skin and abdominal walls are separated from each other, the muscles are pulled more tightly together and sewn into position.
- Removing Excess Skin. The skin is stretched downward and the excess removed.
- Reattaching or Sculpting the Navel. The option your surgeon chooses will be based on which will create the more appealing result. (This is not necessary for a mini tummy tuck.)
Recovery from a Tummy Tuck
Downtime and Full Recovery
You will need at least two weeks off from work, with full recovery taking up to six weeks, depending on the procedure. Avoid strenuous physical activity until given permission by your surgeon. It is best to arrange for assistance from a friend or family member or other person during the initial stages of recovery.
Good Nutrition and Rest
Healthy, nutritious foods will aid in healing, as will rest. Sleep with your head elevated for at least the first two weeks post-op.
Following these general guidelines will help you have a smooth recovery:
- Drainage tubes should be cleared at least two or three times daily.
- Bandages should be changed several times a day.
- Wear a compression garment around the abdomen, if advised by your surgeon. You can minimize the risk of blood clots with compression stockings.
- For two to three days after surgery, or until instructed by your surgeon, replace showers with gentle sponge baths.
Surgery can be dehydrating, which often results in constipation. Drink 8 to 16 glasses of water daily to avoid dehydration and constipation. An over-the-counter constipation medication can be helpful to ease this side effect. Your surgeon may prescribe a pain medication or recommend an over-the-counter product to minimize discomfort.
Incision sites should never be exposed to direct sunlight. Special healing products may be provided, or specific brands advised to help aid in making scars less visible once healed.
The surgical team at Athenix Orange County is committed not just to results but to ensuring you have the best possible experience, from start to finish. Your surgeon will schedule follow-up visits. However, if at any time you have questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to us – our team of professional is here for you.
Transform Your Body after the Baby
Pregnancy and childbirth produce beautiful children – the most important people in our lives. Any mother will agree that our children are well worth it, but there is no denying that the process can be hard on a woman’s body.
In advanced pregnancy, the belly is stretched beyond all recognition, which can leave loose, hanging skin on the abdomen after the baby is born. Pregnancy also stretches out the abdominal muscles and they can become separated, a problem even more common with C-section surgeries than with vaginal deliveries.
Exercise and diet can definitely help, but they may not be enough to get back your pre-baby body. Our Orange County abdominoplasty surgeons can perform a tummy tuck procedure to remove loose, sagging skin on the abdomen and tighten and flatten your belly.
Sculpting the Body You Deserve
When you stick conscientiously to a diet and exercise program and shed a substantial amount weight, you deserve to have an attractive body to show for your efforts. Unfortunately, although it is beneficial overall, significant weight loss can leave your body with some undesirable aesthetic effects – loose, sagging skin on the belly and overstretched, weakened abdominal muscles. A tummy tuck after weight loss can remove excess skin and tighten sagging abdominal muscles to help create the smoother, flatter belly and more attractive physique you deserve for all your hard work.
Great Abs at Any Age
Loss of elasticity in the skin and weakened muscles are part of the aging process, and this can result in a sagging, flabby midsection as we grow older. A “pooch” is not attractive at any age. Weak, protruding abdominal muscles can add years to your appearance and cause you to appear less fit. Our plastic surgeons in Irvine can perform a tummy tuck procedure to tighten and flatten your abdominal region to streamline and rejuvenate your appearance.
Tummy Tuck in Orange County
At Athenix Body Sculpting Institute in Irvine, we use only the latest technologies and most recent medical advancements. Our state-of-the-art surgical suites in all our locations are fully equipped to handle the most complex cases.
Our Irvine tummy tuck surgeons will evaluate your skin’s elasticity and tone and listen attentively to your treatment goals and concerns to determine the best type of tuck to give you the best results. We will discuss scar placement and downtime and answer all your questions to ensure that a tummy tuck is the best option for your particular situation. Contact our Orange County office to schedule a free consultation with a plastic surgeon.>