There are several types of ‘butt lifts’ offered today, and one of the most popular is the Brazilian butt lift. These procedures are also sometimes referred to as butt augmentations or gluteal augmentations. In recent years, these procedures have been getting even more popular because of their ability to give an improved shape to the body overall. Buttocks-enhancing procedures can include removal of excess skin, tightening, liposuction, transfer of fat from other parts of the body, and/or butt implants. There are many options for creating the shape you desire.
Reasons for getting a butt lift
Why do people seek butt lifts? These are people who generally fit at least one of these categories:
- are looking to enhance the size of their buttocks
- are happy with the size but want improvements in the shape of their buttocks
- feel their body is not proportionate
- find that as they age, their butt is ‘drooping’
- want an enhancement to create a better balance of body shape
- believe more roundness and fullness will improve their figure
- want a procedure that both slims the waist and increases the size of the buttocks (Brazilian butt lift)
Butt lifts can be customized to the body type and goals of each patient.
Types of butt lifts
Butt implants or augmentation
Surgery with implants traditionally involves a gel silicone or water-filled device being placed into each side of your buttocks. This creates a full, rounded appearance. Gel silicone implants used to be used often, but if a rupture occurs, the gel silicone can leak causing a lumpy, undesirable appearance – which sometimes could include a risk of infection or damage to organs. Water-filled implants are more commonly used today, since a ruptured implant is less dangerous if it’s filled with water. However, even though a rupture of a water-based implant is not generally dangerous, it is still is a disadvantage to be aware of. Although ruptures are rare, they are possible especially in the event of a hard fall or trauma to the buttocks area. A rupture could cause drooping, lack of symmetry, and require another operation.
Newer type of butt implants: solid silicone
Today we have the option for performing butt implants with something called “solid silicone”. These implants retain the advantages of traditional butt augmentation, but with a major advancement: solid silicone cannot rupture. So by using an implant made of solid silicone, there is not the same concern surgeons have had with either water-filled or gel silicone buttocks implants. However, butt implants always involve a scar, making them a less desirable option in many cases.
Brazilian butt lift
A Brazilian butt lift is an alternative to butt implants. This relatively new procedure gained popularity rapidly, because it has some significant advantages when you consider a Brazilian butt lift vs butt augmentation with implants.
- First of all, a Brazilian butt lift does not involve placing a foreign object into your body. Instead, the butt enhancement is done using your own fat. This means you’re not facing risk of allergic reaction or rejection from the body.
- Another important benefit is that while butt implants leave a scar, a Brazilian butt lift is performed by injection, and the sites of injection leave almost no visible marks.
- A Brazilian butt lift starts with our surgeon removing fat from another part of your body, so not only do you get a shapelier butt, but you also get slimming down of an area like the abdomen or hips.
- This type of butt lift is minimally invasive. In generally this means patients often have a shorter procedure, less down time, and an easier recovery.
Interested in butt augmentation?
FAQs about butt augmentation & Brazilian butt lifts
How popular are butt lift procedures?
Butt augmentations and Brazilian butt lifts have grown more popular in the last decade – and especially the last few years. According to data from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, recent stats show butt lifts in 2015 had a 250% increase over the number of butt lifts done in the year 2000.
Who is a good candidate for a Brazilian butt lift or butt augmentation?
Brazilian butt lifts and butt augmentations are good for some people, but not the right choice for everyone. Here are some characteristics that may make you a good candidate:
- In good overall health
- At a stable weight
- Over the age of 18
- Have some fat in an appropriate location for liposuction, since this is the fat we transfer to your buttocks in the Brazilian butt lift
- Have reasonable expectations for the recovery & your results
How is a Brazilian butt lift performed?
You will be sedated and numb during the operation, so you will not feel any pain. During Brazilian butt lift surgery, we first use liposuction to remove fat from the area you’ve chosen. We then process the fat to separate and prepare it to be injected into your buttocks. The surgeon then injects the fat into your buttocks, using a special syringe and thin tube. We focus the fat near the upper part of the butt, to give you a nice round, lifted result.
What is recovery like after a butt augmentation or Brazilian butt lift?
Whether you have a butt implant, or a butt augmentation using natural fat transfer (Brazilian butt lift), there will be a recovery period during which you’ll have some discomfort and swelling. You should be able to walk around within a day or two of your procedure, but should expect 1 to several weeks before you can return to work. It is important not to sit on your butt whenever possible, for a few weeks after surgery. Depending on your procedure, we’ll tell you how long to avoid sitting this way. The pressure on your buttocks from sitting can interfere with the healing process, and can leave you with results that are less good. We’ll ask you to sleep on your side or stomach. The recovery time for a Brazilian butt lift is generally shorter than the recovery time from implants, since the Brazilian butt lift is a more minimally invasive surgery. In most cases we will ask you to wear a compression garment that will aide in the recovery and shaping process.
Although diet and exercise are great for creating a lean body, there are often parts of our physical appearance we cannot change, even with focused toning. If you feel as though your butt is too flat, or droopier than you’d like, there is little you can do to change this on your own. However, a Brazilian butt lift may be a great option for you. Are you wondering if a Brazilian butt lift or other type of butt augmentation is a good fit for your goals? Get in touch with us and we’d be happy to answer any questions you have.