Los Angeles Office
150 East Colorado Blvd, Suite 102
Pasadena, CA 91105
Breast play an integral role in a woman’s physical beauty and feminine allure, and in her feelings of self-confidence. As time passes, nature takes a toll, and once-perky, full breasts begin to droop and sag. Breasts can become saggy suddenly, after weight loss, pregnancy, or breastfeeding – and many women feel a personal loss with this undesirable change in their breasts.
Exercise can help in some cases. It might be possible to lift slightly drooping breasts with a workout that tones the underlying muscles, but if the supporting ligaments have been stretched out the skin has lost its elasticity, exercise cannot solve the issue. A breast lift in Los Angeles can restore the youthful, perky appearance of your breasts.
Restore Your Breasts to a High, Plump, and Youthful Appearance
Fortunately, our skilled, board-certified plastic surgeons at Athenix Body Sculpting Institute can safely perform breast lifts, also known as mastopexy, safely removing excess skin and tissue to lift, reshape, and tighten the breasts. This procedure can restore a plump, attractive fullness to the upper breasts. A breast lift can be combined with a breast augmentation in Los Angeles for women who have lost volume, or simply want larger breasts. When life and time have left your breasts looking saggy or droopy, our board-certified plastic surgeons can help you restore your youthful, feminine curves.
What Causes Sagging, Drooping Breasts?
Nothing in life lasts forever, and full, perky breasts are no exception. Various events in woman’s life, and time itself, can cause the breasts to stretch and change in shape. Life factors that lead to sagging breasts include:
- Gravity and time: Gravity is not your friend when it comes to retaining a youthful appearance, and the force of physics can be particularly unkind to the breasts. Small-breasted women have some advantage against the drag of gravity, but even small breasts will begin to droop and sag over time. The connective tissue in the breasts stretches out eventually, causing the breasts to sag and lose their shape, or even appearing deflated or flat. A breast lift can help restore your youthful profile and give you tighter, firmer, fuller breasts.
- Gaining and losing weight: Women gain and lose weight in the breasts as well as the rest of the body, and with weight loss, breast fat is often the first to go. Substantial weight gain may have stretched both the skin and the muscle structure that support their weight. When you lose the weight, although it benefits your health and overall appearance, it can leave the breasts in a saggy, droopy condition. Our Pasadena breast lift surgeons can perform a custom-tailored breast lift procedure to correct the problem.
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding: During pregnancy, hormonal changes typically cause the breasts to grow larger and heavier. When a woman is breastfeeding, the breasts become engorged, changing in size and shape. Breasts tend to droop and lose their shape when they shrink back after pregnancy or breastfeeding is over, often losing the original volume. A custom-tailored breast lift in Los Angeles at Athenix can help restore your breasts to their original position and appearance.
- Heredity: Nature and genetics are not always kind. Some women naturally have higher, firmer, perkier breasts than others. Fortunately, we no longer have to settle for what nature has given us. If your breasts are naturally droopy because of genetic factors, a breast lift in Pasadena, at our state-of-the-art facility, can help you attain a more attractive profile with fuller, firmer breasts.
Breast Lift Procedures
At Athenix in Los Angeles, we understand that each woman is an individual, with her own unique anatomy and specific goals and preferences. We also understand that our patients expect and deserve great results. After a comprehensive, one-on-one consultation and careful evaluation of your breasts and anatomy, our board-certified plastic surgeons can custom tailor a mastopexy in Los Angeles, specifically for you. Our number one goal is to safely deliver outstanding results with a comfortable treatment experience. We invite you to visit our Before & After photo gallery to view some of our results.
Mastopexy Incision Types
In customizing your mastopexy, you and your surgeon have options as to incision placement and type. Our plastic surgeons will recommend the best procedure to achieve desired results with the goal of leaving the least amount of scarring possible and delivering one of the best breast lifts Los Angeles can offer. Incision placement options include:
- Crescent Lift: This is a technique used to correct minimal sagging that causes minimal scarring. In a crescent lift, the surgeon makes a small incision halfway around the top edge of the areola. This procedure is generally performed only when a patient’s breast lift procedure includes implants.
- Donut (Peri-areolar) Lift: The surgeon makes a circular incision all the way around the areola in this procedure. The Donut lift is often performed when patients are receiving implants. This lift can be used to correct mild sagging, and it is also effective when reducing the size of the areola.
- Lollipop (Vertical) Lift: The lollipop breast lift allows the surgeon to remove excess skin and reshape the entire breast. Scars from this procedure can be easily hidden. The surgeon makes two incisions which form the shape of a lollipop – a circular incision around the edge of the areola, and a vertical incision from the bottom of the areola to the fold at the bottom of the breast.
- Anchor (Inverted T) Lift: If you have significant sagging and your breasts need dramatic reshaping, your surgeon may determine that the Anchor lift is best for you. This technique allows the surgeon to remove a substantial amount of skin and tissue and may be the best lift to correct pendulous and excessively sagging breasts. The surgeon makes two incisions in an anchor breast lift – vertically from the bottom of the areola to the breast crease, and along the fold at the bottom of the breast. In a breast lift that includes reduction of the areola, a third incision can also be made around the edge of the areola.
Restore Your Breasts After Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
Time stands still for no one, and sooner or later, every woman will experience the effects of aging on her breasts. Life can accelerate the process, and even younger women can have breasts that sag after childbearing, breastfeeding, or fluctuations in weight. If you do not plan to have children in the future, you may dream of getting back the beautiful breasts you had prior to having children, and our Los Angeles mastopexy/breast lift surgeons are here to help.
Connect With Us: We Can Help.
Our surgeons at Athenix Body Sculpting Institute in Pasadena can custom tailor a breast lift procedure to safely lift and tighten your breasts, to restore fullness and firmness and a more youthful profile. Your first step is to contact our office to schedule a free consultation with a skilled plastic surgeon.
Breast Lift FAQ
What is a breast lift?
A breast lift is a surgical procedure called a mastopexy. It is a combination of procedures to lift the breasts higher on the chest wall and repositioning the nipple, so it is in a very natural, youthful position at the front of the breast.
Am I a candidate for a breast lift?
If you are one of the countless women who is unhappy with saggy, droopy breasts, you are probably a candidate for a breast lift. In some cases, breast augmentation is performed in the same surgery.
Why get a breast lift?
If you are struggling with the appearance of sagging breasts, whether due to age or after breastfeeding, or due to genetics, a breast lift makes it possible to have youthful, firm, higher breasts once again. The main issue is the quality and experience of your plastic surgeon. At Athenix in Los Angeles, we are known for achieving truly beautiful surgical outcomes.
How is a breast lift performed?
The type of procedure is based upon the patient. The incision placement will be based upon the degree of sagging that has occurred. The incisions are often placed around the nipple area, but in some cases of extreme sagging, there may be an incision from center of nipple to the bottom of the breast.
What is the recovery time from a breast lift?
The recovery time is not extensive, and this surgical procedure does not typically involve a great deal of pain or discomfort. You will have a prescription to stay comfortable for the first few days. There will be some swelling, but you should be able to return to work in a week or less.
How much swelling will I have after a breast lift?
As with any invasive procedure, you can expect some swelling. Sleeping on extra pillows or a foam wedge will help limit swelling. Drink lots of water and avoid salty foods during healing. If you carefully follow all of our post-op procedures, you should heal quickly without much concern about excessive swelling.
Can I get a breast augmentation along with a breast lift?
This is very common, particularly for women who have lost breast volume due to weight loss or breastfeeding. A breast lift in conjunction with an augmentation will completely restore your breasts so they look youthful, rounded, and plump, at a youthful location on your chest.
How long will the results of a breast lift last?
While the results are long-lasting, over time you may experience a greater amount of skin laxity. Caring for your skin correctly is helpful in keeping it firm and healthy. Typically, the results last for many, many years before another procedure is needed, if at all.
Breast Lift- FAQ
Do I need a breast lift or augmentation?
An “augmentation” increases the size of your breasts while a lift is a tightening procedure that deals with repairing loose skin on the upper chest, reshaping breast tissue and moving nipple structure. However, the two procedures are often performed in one surgery, depending on the patient and the intended final result.
Will my breasts be symmetrical after they are lifted?
The procedure is geared to produce symmetrical, round, plump (and natural-looking) breasts. There may some slight variations in structure of the chest wall, ribs or spine that make create minor imperfections in matched breasts.
Are there breast lift procedures that produce minimal scars?
Yes, but candidacy depends on the make up of the patient. An incision around the nipple, or periareolar scar lifts the nipples without changing the shape of the breasts. The vertical lift has a scar around the areola to the chest, a common surgical approach. Most of our patients are so happy to with the results of a breast lift that they feel it outweighs the scars – which are hidden from sight.
Can a lift and an augmentation be performed in the same surgery?
Yes, and this is often done at Athēnix. Our surgeon will discuss your options during your consultation.
Can I breastfeed after a breast lift?
Yes, although it is recommended to wait to have breast surgery until you are done having children because of the impact of pregnancy and breastfeeding on the shape and characteristics of the breast. If the nipple structure is left intact, breastfeeding is possible but there are other variables that may occur during the procedure that could affect breastfeeding.
What is the typical recovery time after a breast lift?
Most women can return to work between 2-14 days, depending on the kind of work they do. Heavy lifting or vigorous exercise should be avoided until you are given the okay from our medical professionals at Athenix.