While many small breasted women long for bigger breasts, women with large, heavy breasts would not hesitate to trade places with them. Not only can overly large breasts appear out of proportion with the rest of the body, but they can also interfere with activities and cause a great deal of pain and discomfort. Our skilled plastic surgeons at Athenix Body Sculpting Institute in Irvine can perform a breast reduction surgery to lift and lighten your breasts, help to relieve your pain and discomfort, and give your body a more graceful and symmetrical appearance.
Disadvantages of Overly Large Breasts
More is not always better. Women with disproportionately large breasts understand all too well that it carries some distinct disadvantages, including:
- Pain and discomfort: Large, heavy breasts can cause pain and discomfort in the neck, back, and shoulders, as well as problems with posture. Large breasted women often have deep indentations in the shoulders from the pull of heavy breasts on their bra straps. Many also suffer from skin irritation and rashes under the breasts. Breast reduction surgery can usually resolve these problems.
- Limited activities: Large breasts can get in the way of the things a woman wants to do. They can limit participation in sports and interfere with normal activities. Certain physical activities can be awkward or painful for women with large, heavy breasts. Breast reduction surgery can reduce or remove those limitations.
- Detraction from appearance: Breasts that are too large for your height and weight can give your body an asymmetrical appearance. They can also make it difficult to find clothes that fit properly. In a breast reduction procedure, our surgeons can lighten, lift and restore fullness and firmness to your breasts, to give your body more youthful and graceful lines.
- Unwanted attention: How many times have you experienced a person who was staring at your chest instead of looking into your eyes? Large breasts get a lot of attention, much of which could be unwelcome, and even embarrassing. Breast reduction can help alleviate this problem.
- Lowered self-esteem: Many women with overly large breasts are unhappy with their appearance and self-conscious about their breasts, and how they look in or out of clothing. If you are one of those women, breast reduction surgery may enhance your appearance, relieve your discomfort, and raise your self-esteem.
Breast Reduction at Athenix: An Out-Patient Procedure
Breast reduction is an outpatient surgical procedure, typically with few complications. Your Orange County breast reduction surgeon will lift, reshape, and reduce your breasts by removing excess skin, fat, and breast tissue through incisions on the undersides of your breasts. This procedure will also restore fullness and firmness to your breasts. For women with no sagging needing minor to moderate reduction, liposuction alone is sometimes sufficient to reduce the breasts.
Your first step is to schedule a one-on-one consultation with a breast reduction surgeon in our practice. Our physician will evaluate your breasts, discuss your concerns, determine the best method to lift and reduce your breasts, and set realistic expectations for the procedure.
We will take measurements and photos and conduct a complete review of your medical history. No surgical procedure goes without risk, and it is important to bring any overall health concerns to our attention to ensure that you are a good candidate for surgery. At Athenix in Irvine, your safety and results are our top priority.
What to Expect after Breast Reduction Surgery
This procedure is performed under general anesthesia. You may have some pain after the anesthesia wears off, which can easily be controlled with medication. You can expect some swelling, but it may not be that noticeable because your breasts will be smaller, higher, and lighter than they were before the surgery. Try to walk and move around as soon as possible after surgery to aid in the healing process.
Downtime After Surgery
Downtime varies from patient to patient, but you should plan to recover for at least one week before returning to work and resuming normal activities. You will need to avoid heavy lifting and get plenty of rest during this time. It is important to avoid all strenuous activity for the full period prescribed by your physician.
Your surgeon may recommend that you sleep with your torso elevated to relieve pressure on your breasts and reduce pain and swelling. This can be accomplished by using a wedge pillow, sleeping in a recliner, or placing two or three fluffy pillows under your head and upper back. It may also be a good idea to place pillows alongside you and a pillow under your knees to prevent rolling over in your sleep.
Breast Reduction May Be Covered By Insurance
Many insurance companies will cover breast reduction surgery when it is medically necessary, while breast reduction for cosmetic purposes alone is typically not covered by insurance. In many cases, breast reduction surgery is medically necessary to relieve pain in the back, shoulders, and neck and to reduce skin irritation and rashes caused by overly large breasts.
Your insurance company may approve breast reduction surgery if you have excessively large breasts that cause:
- Pain in the neck, back, and shoulders;
- Deep grooving in your shoulders from your bra straps; and
- Skin rashes or irritation underneath your breasts.
Our practice works closely with most major insurance providers, including United Healthcare, Blue Cross, Blue Shield, First Choice Health, Aetna, and Group Health. We can work with your insurance company to help you obtain approval for the procedure. If your surgery is approved, we can perform a breast reduction at little or no cost to you. Visit our Insurance page to learn more about insurance coverage for breast reduction surgery.
Breast Reduction: Removing the Limitations
At Athenix Body Sculpting Institute, our Irvine breast reduction surgeons can perform a surgical procedure to give you smaller, firmer breasts, reduce the strain on your body, and remove the limitations on your activities. Breast reduction can give your body a more youthful, graceful appearance and raise your self-esteem. Call our Orange County office today to schedule a complimentary consultation.