Orange County Office
113 Waterworks Way, Suite 300
Irvine, CA 92618
Beautiful breasts make a woman’s body more alluring, enhance her femininity, and can increase her self-confidence. Breasts are a powerful element of overall body appearance. Nature may not have given you the full, shapely breasts you want. If you have small breasts, a breast augmentation can greatly enhance your appearance and self-esteem. Is it any wonder that breast augmentation is the most popular cosmetic surgery in America?
Some women’s breasts never developed to their satisfaction. Others have lost volume after pregnancy, breastfeeding, weight loss, or due to aging. Many women have one breast noticeably larger than the other. Fortunately for women today, breast augmentation can provide what nature has denied them or replace what time and life have taken away.
At Athenix Body Sculpting Institute, our cosmetic and plastic surgeons have safely helped thousands of women achieve beautiful, natural looking breasts. You can browse our Photo Gallery to see some of the results we have produced for our patients. Our breast augmentation surgeons have the skills and techniques to enhance the appearance of the bust through a variety of breast augmentation procedures, which will be uniquely customized to suit the body for a natural, lovely appearance.
Beautiful Breasts that Look and Feel Natural
Every woman deserves to have beautiful breasts. Our surgeons perform two basic types of breast augmentation in our practice:
Natural Fat Transfer Breast Augmentation: In this procedure, we gently remove excess fatty tissue from selected areas of the body using VASER® or Body-Jet water-assisted liposuction. The fat is then purified and used to enhance the size and shape of your breasts. Because your body’s own fat cells are used to augment your breasts, this procedure can achieve a softer, smoother, more natural appearance. There is also less risk involved than with breast implant procedures.
Natural Fat Transfer breast augmentation does not require large skin incisions, so the procedure can be done without anesthesia for a quicker recovery and less downtime. Another advantage of this breast augmentation method is that it incorporates micro body contouring, so you can achieve a more sculpted body while enhancing your breasts.
Breast Implant Types
Saline or Silicone Gel Breast Implants: Full and natural looking breasts can profoundly impact a woman’s self-confidence. Our surgeons custom tailor each breast implant procedure to a woman’s specific anatomy for beautiful breasts that look and feel natural.
Patient Safety with Natrelle® Saline and Silicone Implants
For additional patient safety, we use Natrelle® saline and silicone gel-filled implants. Natrelle® silicone gel breast implants are among the most studied FDA-approved medical devices in existence. Hundreds of peer-reviewed studies concerning silicone gel implants have found no basis for health concerns. Safety is our top priority at Athenix.
Customizing a breast implant procedure involves a number of options and choices, including type of implant (saline of silicone gel), placement of implant (beneath or in front of the pectoral muscle), location of the incision, and the size, shape, profile, and texture of the implant. The best place to start is to schedule a free consultation with our breast augmentation surgeon so we can address your goals and concerns, evaluate your anatomy, and give you realistic expectations as to the results you can achieve.
You Deserve It.
At Athenix, we understand that our patients expect and deserve excellent results, and our primary goal is to safely deliver those results while providing the best possible patient experience. Our breast augmentation surgeon can tailor the best breast enhancement procedure for your anatomy and treatment goals.
ConfidencePlus® Breast Implant Warranty
Because we use NATRELLE™ style saline and silicone filled breast implants in our practice, our patients are automatically enrolled in the ConfidencePlus® warranty program at no cost. This program provides:
- Lifetime product replacement
- Silicone and saline breast implants covered
- 10 years of guaranteed financial assistance
- Up to $1,200 in out-of-pocket expenses for surgical fees, operating room, and anesthesia
Reasons to Have a Breast Augmentation Procedure
Most women would love to have perfect breasts, but many are not altogether happy with what they have. Breast augmentation can improve a woman’s appearance and raise her self-esteem, and make it possible to wear bikini tops and plunging necklines with confidence. With breast augmentation procedures, our surgeons can correct a number of cosmetic flaws, including:
- Small breasts: With Natural Fat Transfer or saline and silicone gel breast implants, small-breasted women can have the larger, fuller, beautiful breasts they have always wanted. Thousands of women are currently enjoying the results of breast augmentation procedures performed by our board-certified plastic surgeons and physicians.
- Disproportionate breasts: When one breast in noticeably larger than the other, it can make a woman self-conscious about her body and lower her self-esteem. Our surgeons can correct the problem by augmenting the smaller breast or reducing the larger breast to achieve symmetry.
- Sagging breasts: Pregnancy, breastfeeding, weight loss, and aging can cause once perky breasts to droop and sag. Our physicians can perform a breast lift procedure, removing excess skin to lift and tighten the breasts. A breast lift can be combined with saline or silicone implants for women who want both fuller and higher breasts.
- Older implants: Although highly durable and designed to last for decades, eventually, breast implants will need to be replaced, particularly if they develop ruptures. Some women choose to replace older saline implants with new gel implants for a more natural look and feel. Our board-certified plastic surgeons can rejuvenate the look of the breasts with custom-tailored implant replacement. More recently developed sizes and shapes make it possible to create breasts that look and feel like natural breast tissue.
Incisions During Breast Augmentation
If you and your plastic surgeon have decided that implants will produce the figure you envision, the procedure will require some type of incision to insert it into the breast.
A natural fat transfer breast augmentation does not require an incision, because your natural fat cells are extracted, purified, and injected into the breast at strategic locations.
The Four Locations of Incisions
The size of the incision will vary, based on the type of implant you will receive. However, the scarring related to any of the four types is virtually invisible.
- A periareolar incision is placed around the areola, in the area where the darker skin of areola meets the lighter skin of the breast meet.
- An inframammary incision is made underneath the breast, in the crease where the breast and chest are connected.
- A transaxillary incision is made adjacent to the fold of the armpit.
- A transumbilical incision (TUBA) is made in the navel, and an endoscope is used to place the implant.
A silicone implant is pre-filled, and the latest generation of silicone implants come in more sizes and shapes than ever. The size of the incision must be large enough for the implant to be inserted.
A saline implant often requires a smaller incision because it filled after placement. It is, basically, a cigar-shaped shell that is filled after it is positioned in the breast.
Downtime after Breast Augmentation Surgery
Actual downtime is generally from three to seven days, depending on the implant size, where the incision was made, and the location of the implant (above or below the pectoral muscle).
If the implant was placed above the pectoral muscle (subglandularly), the downtime is generally only two to three days.
If the implant was placed below the muscle (submuscularly) or the incision was made in the crease below the breast (inframammary), the downtime is typically one week.
Tips for Your Recovery
Along with the detailed instructions that will be provided, following these tips will help you have a successful and smooth recovery:
- Plan for assistance. For the first 24 – 72 hours, you should not attempt even the simplest routine chores. Your job is to rest and recover in the early stages. Plan to have someone stay with you or stop by daily to help. No heavy lifting for the first four to six weeks.
- Fill your prescription for pain medication the day before surgery. You may not need prescription painkillers and can manage any discomfort with over-the-counter products. While you may not need it, ensure you have it on hand.
- Plenty of rest and sleep aid the healing process. Be sure to have reading material, the TV remote, plenty of pillows and blankets—whatever you need to assist you with this—near the bed, couch, or wherever you will be resting during your recovery.
- Have on hand lots of light, healthy foods that require little or no preparation. Additionally, drink plenty of water to minimize the dehydration that often accompanies surgery.
If you are not happy with the size, shape, or appearance of your breasts, you have options with a variety of our breast augmentation procedures. Our plastic surgeons at Athenix Body Sculpting Institute make your safety, satisfaction, and treatment experience our top priority. Contact our office to schedule a complimentary consultation at our Irvine office to discuss your breast enhancement goals.
Breast Augmentation FAQ
What looks better, teardrop or round implants?
Each type of implant has advantages, and the choice of implant must be based upon body shape and the quantity of natural fat and breast tissue of the individual.
Which type of implant is better, silicone or saline?
Silicone implants more closely mimic natural breast tissue, while saline implants have the advantage of allowing for a smaller incision as they can be filled after placement.
Will I be able to breastfeed if I have breast augmentation?
Breast augmentation when performed correctly should not impact your ability to breastfeed your baby. At Athenix, we ensure we understand the needs of each patient before proceeding, including plans to breastfeed in the future.
How long does breast implant surgery take to complete?
A typical breast augmentation surgery requires about one to two hours. If a breast lift is part of the procedure, the surgery may take a little longer.
Is there a way to create larger breasts without implants?
Natural fat transfer is the natural method of breast augmentation. It involves harvesting excess fat from another body area, purifying it, and injecting into the breasts. As it is your own body’s fat, there is almost no risk of rejection, and the results are soft and natural.
Does breast augmentation leave large scars?
Every person is different in what is needed for breast augmentation. In most cases, the incisions are placed in the natural crease below your breasts, or around the areola where they are virtually invisible once healed. For saline implants, the incision can be placed in the fold of the armpit.
How long will I need to recover from breast augmentation?
If you carefully follow the aftercare instructions, avoid any vigorous motions or activities for the required amount of time, and care for your new breasts, you should be feeling back to normal within a couple of weeks.
Should I get a breast lift along with my breast augmentation?
If your breasts are now lower on the chest wall due to skin laxity or after breastfeeding, it may be necessary to lift the breasts to a higher position as part of your enhancement.
Can I alter the size and location of my nipples?
This is often part of a breast augmentation or breast lift procedure. If the nipples are at the bottom of the breast pointing down, or are larger than you want, this can be corrected as part of your procedure.
What is capsular contracture?
In some cases, an excess of scar tissue may develop around the implant, which tightens around the implant. This is termed capsular contracture and can be corrected with breast revision surgery.